Thursday, May 24, 2012

I won't be speaking in clergy session but the work goes on

I spoke to my Bishop today. He said that I can't speak in clergy session about the marriage pledge but that it's okay to gather signatures. I have 5 signatures so far and I await more responses from the email I sent out. I know that being an activist for change is always difficult. If it was easy there would be no need for activism. We could bring up our disagreements with rules and make our views known and have a vote and changes would be approved.
In reality, we bring up our disagreements and those in power say, no, things are fine the way they are. When all other means of procedural resolutions have been exhausted, it is acceptable and maybe even mandatory that change be sought through nonviolent direct action. That's how Gandhi, MLK and many others did it and that's what it will take to change The United Methodist Church.
I am resolute. I know that immoral laws must be disobeyed so that God's call to be in ministry for and with all people can be obeyed.
You may say I'm a dreamer but I'm not the only one. I hope you'll join us and The United Methodist Church will be as one. Thank you John Lennon for the inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment